Our Story

Founded in 1948, FMS came to be when a group of Chicago controllers formed the Society of Savings and Loan Controllers, a 501(c) 6 not-for-profit association.  The Society became an affiliate of the United States League of Savings Institutions a few years later and was officially renamed the Financial Managers Society in 1982.

In 1990, after serving savings and loan financial officers exclusively for 42 years, FMS disaffiliated from the United States League and began to serve financial personnel not just from savings and loans, but also from community banks, thrifts and credit unions. 

Today, with a strong emphasis on first-class education and building community, FMS thrives as a professional membership organization with nearly 1,600 professional members from banks, thrifts, credit unions, and affiliate partners, from across the country.  

Want to learn more? Follow us on social to stay in the know, or better yet, join our story.