Through interactive, hands-on case studies, Scott Baranowski, Director of Internal Audit Services and Dan Morrill, Director of Professional Practice from Wolf & Company, P.C., will examine the entire loan auditing process from setting appropriate documentation standards, to effective loan review and learning how to sell in the secondary market.
You will leave this day-and-a-half seminar with a better understanding of:
• The necessary steps for auditing the lending process and how to implement them
• Retail and commercial loan documentation testing suggestions
• Auditing Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses (ALLL), including how to prepare for CECL
• The procedures on auditing Impaired Loans/Troubled Debt Restructuring (TDRs)
• Hidden risks in loan confirmations
• Loan review roles and oversight of the loan review function
• How to evaluate participation loans
• How the lending process interacts with COSO 2013
• Lending related hot topics
Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 am to 5:00 pm
• Lending function overview
• Roles and responsibilities of credit
• Board and management oversight
• Policy review
• Segregation of duties
Loan Documentation Standards
• Residential loan
• Consumer loan
• Construction loan
• Commercial real estate loan
• Commercial and industrial loans
• Appraisals – FFIEC appraisal requirements
Allowance for Loan and Lease Loss (ALLL)
• Principles and practices
• New ALLL guidance
• Key concepts
• Troubled Debt Restructurings (TDRs)
Other Real Estate Owned (OREO)
• Definition of OREO
• Maintaining and accounting for OREO
• Classification on ALLL
• Common types
• Auditing the risk of confirmations
8:30 am to 12:00 pm
Loan Review Function
• Segregating the roles internal audit and loan review
• Differentiating the audit in-house vs. outsourced loan review
• Roles and responsibilities of each institution
• Determining and evaluating the underlying risks
Deferred Fees and Costs
• Key concepts
• Underlying risks and audit process
Other External Risk Factors and Hot Topics
Scott Baranowski, CIA
Director of Internal Audit Services, Wolf & Company, P.C.
Scott Baranowski, CIA is Member of the Firm and serves as the Director of the Internal Audit Services group at Wolf & Company, P.C. Scott oversees and manages a team of professionals who utilize a risk-based approach, best practices methodology, and state-of-the-art technologies to provide effective and efficient programs customized to meet client needs in internal audit, risk management, and SOX compliance. Scott joined Wolf in 2003 and has nearly 20 years of experience in providing internal audit and risk management services to various organizations. Prior to joining Wolf, Scott held management and internal audit positions at a credit union with over $500 million in assets, an international accounting firm, Fleet, and its predecessors BankBoston and BayBank.
Dan Morrill, CPA
Director of Professional Practice, Wolf & Company, P.C.
Dan Morrill, CPA is a Principal in Wolf’s Professional Practice group. Dan conducts training on technical issues, performs quality control reviews, leads Wolf’s Audit and Accounting Committee, participates in learning and development initiatives, and conducts technical research for the firm. He is a CPA with over 15 years of experience providing audit and other assurance services to community financial institutions, including SEC registrants, non-profit entities, and pension plans. His expertise includes working with clients to resolve audit and accounting issues with respect to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), and the Securities and Exchange Commission regulations (SEC).
Hyatt at The Bellevue
200 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Special FMS Room Rate: $185 Single/Double
Deadline for Rate: March 27, 2017
For Reservations: Book online or call 1-888-591-1234
Identify yourself as an attendee of the Financial Managers Society program to receive the preferred rate. If you are making reservations through a travel agent, be sure to request that your reservation be placed in the FMS room block to guarantee the best rate.
|| Earn up to 13 hours of CPE credit.
- Level: Basic to Intermediate
- Prerequisites: None
- Advance preparation: None
- Field of Study: Auditing
- Instructional Method: Live-Group
For more information regarding administrative policies such as concerns or refunds, call 800-ASK-4FMS (800-275-4367). FMS is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses. Complaints regarding sponsors may be addressed to: The National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue, North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417 Web: www.nasba.org.
Refunds and Cancellations
A refund minus a $250 processing fee will be provided for cancellations received by FMS in writing four weeks prior to the program start date. No refunds will be given for cancellations received after that date. A substitution from your institution is welcome at any time. FMS reserves the right to change instructors or reschedule/cancel sessions when necessary. FMS is not responsible for airfare penalties incurred due to the cancellation of the program. For more information regarding refunds, concerns and/or program cancellation policies, please contact our offices at (312) 578-1300.